Friday 15 October 2010

Triggerfish

Walking along the Uiskentuie Strand this afternoon, my dog, Merlin, who has recently cottoned on to the fact that I like him to find dead birds for me, came trotting towards me with this Triggerfish (Balistes capriscus) in his mouth. Although not a bird, I was duly full of praise for his finding a dead fish instead. I think he just thought it nice and smelly whatever it was! They are almost plentiful off south-west England but seem to be quite scarce in Scottish waters. This one was just on 30cm but they can grow to about 40cm. They are unusual among British fish in having a fine set of teeth which they use for crushing mollusc shells.



See the British Marine Life Study Society pages at: http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Triggerf.htm for more information.
Malcolm

No comments:

Post a Comment