Sunday, 7 November 2010
Port Charlotte this morning
For those who may not be familiar with the village, the INHT Field Centre is the ground floor of the big white building at the top right of the picture. The Scottish Youth Hostel Association is our landlord, and occupies the first floor. The building was originally a whisky bond which was used by the now defunct Loch Indaal Distillery in Port Charlotte which, along with the Free Church now housing the Museum of Islay Life, was an early casualty of the 1929 stock market crash. The rather scruffy low-rise building to the immediate left of the Field Centre is another whisky bond, the roof of which blew off in a gale in 1997. It has never been replaced.