Wednesday 27 February 2013

Sunderland hinterland

A new walk for me and my first solitary walk in ages. This is fascinating territory, but be warned - it is far from easy walking in places - lumpy, boggy, scrubby woodland, steep slopes, barbed wire fences with no gates. At least there was no bracken to contend with. I went in search of Dun na h-Uamha, but missed it by a fraction (which unfortunately means returning some time!) However, I found a real gem and so unexp-ectedly, a ruined croft situated in an enviable position above Gleann na -h-Uamha with fantastic views. On a glorious day like Monday there really is no better place to be in the whole wide world!
Becky

Standing Stone at Gartacharra

Gleann na h-Uamha - traversing this terrain was a daunting prospect!

Ruin above Gleann na h-Uamha

Ruin above Gleann na h-Uamha

2 comments:

  1. I just have to say how much I enjoy all your post on the walks and the photos. I often find myself having to go onto the ordnance survey maps to see where you have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! So glad it sends you to the OS maps - one of my favourite pastimes is reading maps (in case that wasn't obvious). Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete